A recent labor case has been in the news, in which a prominent coffee company has been deemed by the National Labor Relations Board to have illegally dismissed a problem employee because the staffer was “pro-union.”
However, here are some comments that worker reportedly made to his manager during one instance when he felt the manager should have helped during a busy period: “it’s about damn time”; “this is bull****”; and “do everything your damn self.”
But since the employee in question had organized union protests and the manager included that fact in the reasons given for dismissal, the NLRB determined his firing was at least in part because of his union support. It ordered the company to offer this person his job back — and compensate him for loss of pay and benefits. It goes to show that common sense doesn’t always apply with today’s NLRB and labor issues.
Barnes & Thornburg LLP and the Indiana Chamber of Commerce are proud to offer the second edition of The Indiana Guide to Labor Relations. Last published in 2000, a great deal has changed at both the federal and state levels, as well as in the workplace. This is a comprehensive guide, illustrating how employers can deal effectively with all varieties of union issues. New updates in this edition include:
- The NLRB’s recent attack on social media policies and disciplinary decisions
- Updated discussion on how to defend against union organizing
- Indiana’s right-to-work law
- New union election rules being contemplated by the NLRB
- Updated analysis of employers’ ability to lock out employees during bargaining
This book is available for $89, or $66.75 for Indiana Chamber members. It can be ordered online, or by calling (800) 824-6885.
Here are some other resources from the Indiana Chamber you may find helpful:
- The Supervisor’s Handbook – 2nd Edition (just released in May)
- The ADA Guide – 3rd Edition (in production, scheduled for July release)
- Worker’s Compensation Handbook – 6th Edition (in production, scheduled for August release)
- Indiana HR Resources web site (includes online ePub versions of 15 HR books)