You’ve undoubtedly seen their ads. You’ve heard the name. But what you didn’t know about Red Gold, the Elwood-based tomato product producer, may surprise you. So here are some fun facts about Red Gold, a company we’re proud to say is part of the Indiana Chamber member family:
- The company has over 1,100 employees, who work at facilities in four small Indiana towns – Orestes, Geneva, Alexandria and Elwood.
- Red Gold began in 1942 when Grover Hutcherson and his daughter, Fran, rebuilt a Midwest cannery to provide fresh-tasting canned food products for the war effort. (The company remains a family-owned business.)
- In Chicago, New York and 36 other major U.S. markets, Red Gold sells more canned tomato products than any other manufacturer.
- Nearly one-third of all canned tomato products purchased in the U.S. are made by Red Gold.
- Three out of every four consumers of retailer brand tomato juice drink Red Gold produced tomato juice.
- The company attracts creative minds to develop some of the industry’s most advanced tomato growing and processing technology – although the Midwestern climate helps quite a bit, too.
- Red Gold is the nation’s largest provider of retail private label tomato products (with ketchup leading the way).
- Personal testimony: Their ketchup is really freaking good.
And just think, Super Bowl Sunday is only two days away. Salsa, anyone?