Lieutenant Governor Sue Ellspermann and Indiana Department of Labor Commissioner Sean M. Keefer presented Governor's Workplace Safety Awards today to eight Hoosier companies for advancing occupational safety and health in their industries.
"Dedication to a safe work environment should be an absolute goal of every Indiana employer," said Lt. Gov. Ellspermann. "I commend our award winners for successfully implementing significant health and safety practices."
The companies were honored at the 2013 Indiana Safety and Health Conference and Expo luncheon ceremony in Indianapolis. The event was presented by the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers and the Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
"The Indiana Department of Labor is proud to recognize these organizations where the safety and health of their workforce is a top priority," said Keefer. "These organizations represent the best of the best, and Indiana is proud to honor these leading companies and their employees."
Indiana organizations were recognized in the following categories: external education and outreach, innovations, internal education and outreach, and partnerships.
The 2013 Governor's Workplace Safety Award recipients are:
- Aisin Drivetrain, Inc., in Crothersville — internal education and outreach for a medium-sized company
- Marmon Retail Home Improvement Products, Inc., (formally known as Cerro Wire, LLC) in Crothersville — external education and outreach
- Cummins Seymour Engine Plant — innovations for a large-sized company
- DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction in Warsaw — internal education and outreach for a large-sized company
- Gribbins Insulation Co., Inc., in Evansville — innovations in construction
- Lebanon Community School Corporation — partnerships for construction safety
- Lord Corporation in Indianapolis — internal education and outreach for a small-sized company
- PAOLI Furniture — innovations for a medium-sized company
"Safety in the workplace cannot be overrated," said Indiana Chamber President Kevin Brinegar. "When a company ensures that safety is a top priority and implements an occupational safety plan, employees, customers and the community win.
"A major benefit of a safe workplace is an efficient, profitable organization with employees who feel they are valued," added Brinegar.
The 2013 Governor's Workplace Safety Awards are a result of a partnership among government, business and safety leaders: the Indiana Department of Labor, on behalf of the governor, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
Governor Mike Pence plans to further honor award recipients at their worksites in the near future.