The IndustryWeek 1000 is the annual list of the world's top public manufacturing companies based on revenue. There are numerous ways to slice and dice the numbers. I found a breakdown by country to be interesting.
For example, 266 companies are headquartered in the United States. They created $5.6 trillion in total revenues with 5.74% average revenue growth. Eight of the top 25 were U.S. based, led by No. 2 Exxon Mobil and No. 9 Chevron Corp.
The totals for five other countries:
- Japan: 197 companies, $3.1 trillion revenues, 0.86% average growth, No. 10 Toyota
- China: 58 companies, $1.4 trillion total revenues, 7% average growth, No. 3 China Petroleum & Chemical Corp. and No. 5 PetroChina Co.,Ltd.
- France: 45 companies, $1.1 trillion total revenues, 7.35% average growth, No. 8 TOTAL SA
- Germany: 36 companies, $1.5 trillion total revenues, 6.29% average growth, No. 7 Volkswagen AG
- United Kingdom: 35 companies, $1.4 trillion total revenues, 0.31% average growth, No. 1 Royal Dutch Shell PLC and No. 4 BP PLC
The other top 10 entity was India's Oil & Natural Gas Corp. Ltd. at No. 6.